Learning Support Assistant
At Newquay Community Orchard we deliver Entry Level 3 and Level 1 Practical Outdoors Skills and Employability qualifications. We work with young people and adults with a mix of abilities and backgrounds, health and social support needs. Teaching is a through a mix of theory and practical delivery at our 7 acre site both in our classroom and in our orchard, food growing space and wood workshop.
The purpose of this position is to provide support to our Education Officer for learners with additional needs. You will guide learners during structured and non-structured lessons and assist each learner to achieve their full potential at Newquay Community Orchard.
This role demands flexibility, responsibility and a willingness to participate in all aspects of outdoor growing activities. You need to be confident working with small groups and when working on a 1:1 basis. You will be happy to work outdoors and get your hands dirty.
Salary: £9.00 per hour working 10 hours a week - 9.30am-3pm (with half an hour for lunch) on Mondays and Tuesdays term time only
Tenure: Part time term time permanent
Reporting to: Education Officer
Start date: 4th March 2019
Duties and responsibilities
- To assist individuals and small groups of learners in developing knowledge, skills and attitudes. To take into account the learning support involved to aid them to learn as effectively as possible.
- To supervise an individual or small group of learners within a class under the overall control of the Education Officer.
- To establish supportive relationships with the learner/s concerned and to encourage acceptance and inclusion of all learners.
- To encourage social integration and individual development of learners. To promote and reinforce learners’ self-esteem and independence.
- To accompany learners on occasional educational visits and outings as supervised by the Education Officer.
- To assist with the assessment, monitoring and recording of learner’s progress, health, behaviour and general wellbeing. To feedback any information (including concerns) regarding the well-being, safety and educational needs of Learners to the Education Officer as appropriate.
- To be aware of confidential issues linked to the Learner and Newquay Orchard and to ensure the confidentiality of such sensitive information.
- To carry out administrative tasks associated with all of the above duties as directed by the Education Officer.
- To remain aware and work within all relevant working practices, policies and procedures set by Newquay Orchard.
- Previous experience of working with young adults and adult learners desirable.
- Able to demonstrate a good level of English and Maths.
- Good organisational and communication skills.
- Patient, friendly and supportive, able to nurture the confidence and skills of people of all abilities.
- Interested in plants and nature and willing to get stuck in and get your hands dirty!
- This role is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
Please submit your CV with a cover letter. You should demonstrate how you meet the skills, knowledge, experience and qualities set out in the job description and why you want this role. The deadline for applications is 9 am Wednesday 20th February 2019.
If you are shortlisted, you will be invited for a short interview at Newquay Community Orchard on Monday 25th February. You will be informed by the end of Wednesday 20th February if you have been shortlisted for interview. As we are a small company with very limited resources we are very sorry that we are unable to give feedback on applications that are not shortlisted.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: £9.00 /hour
Send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org FAO Jenny Hindson